This compelling D&s expression of the popular artistic theme, Allegory of Love and Wisdom, is by Isidoro Bianchi called Campione (1581 - 1662), an Italian painter of the Baroque period.
He seems to have been active at the start of the century as a fresco painter in the Como area. His first recorded work is a fresco cycle for the Cistercian monastery attached to the Abbey of Santa Maria dell'Acquafredda, 1598-1601. Between 1605 and 1606, he is recorded as having visited the court of Rudolph II in Prague, after which he returned to Lombardy and later entered the patronage of the ducal house of Savoy. He was appointed court painter and knighted by the Duke in 1631.
Many of Bianchi's works have a distinctly Lombard quality but this painting is a rare example of the impact his trip to Prague had on his style. The unusually large allegorical composition is influenced by Bartholomäus Spranger's painting of a similar subject.